Sunday, December 9, 2007

happiness in being very human

Aristotle contended that happiness could not be found only in pleasure or only in fame and honor. He finally finds happiness "by ascertaining the specific function of man". But what is this function that will bring happiness? a human's function is to do what makes it human, to be good at what sets it apart from everything else: the ability to reason..

I gave a class to one of my clients' household staff on maintaining order since i have been organizing their house. Being materially orderly is a big battle for a lot of us, not only for helpers. Material order actually comes from within, interior order. It starts with- you wouldnt believe it.- when our mind knows the reason for our being where we are now and what we are here for, when we understand what is truly important in our life, and going for it is what will make us feel fulfilled, happy.. Then everything else falls in place.. how does that happen???

You see when you know what you're here for, you become present at each moment, you live fully in the present. Order needs being fully present at each moment, then you necessarily do what needs to be done.. not later, not tomorrow, not when you feel like it, or when schedule is better.. or much less hoping somebody will do it for you.. No, you'll have to do it now bacause it needs to be done now.

One who is fully present knows that pair of scissors will not walk back to the drawer unless I put it back.. that others' work depend on my doing my part well and on time.. OMG!!. and so on and so forth.. I facilitate others life and work if I take responsibility of mine. I do things because I want to (not because somebody is watching me). I know what am doing, where am going at each moment.. i am making my life each day..i am happy..

Did the helpers become orderly?? a little!!! I've shown them how to keep order, ive told them how to maintain it.. its a good start. The ability to reason, to use ones mind needs formation and it takes time but not very long time. And that is why we need to patiently repeat instructions, explain the reason why, until they understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment